Wednesday, June 29, 2011

The Reality of Things...

I have been accused of being a pessimist all my life, but, I prefer to think of my attitude as a realist.  I agree I should be more positive on some occasions, but, sometimes that is just too dang hard...

The reality I speak of is about life. How precious it is and how quickly it can be changed. One minute everything is hunky-dory and the next it's not.  I am well aware of how this form of reality works (read previous posts, if you don't know what I'm talking about.)

That said, my Mom suffered a stroke last week. Talk about a huge surprise. I must say the phone call from my Dad was a shock!  All of us sibs corralled around her and my Dad that night and into the wee hours of the morning, in the ER.  Needless to say, there was some damage done by a blood clot, but, we were assured by a speech therapist that she should make a full recovery.

While she as at the hospital we took it upon ourselves to quiz her relentlessly.  Her attitude has been stellar throughout.  She would keep going and going. Her particular impairment is a cognitive one.  Imagine having the answer on the "tip of your tongue" and not being able to figure it out. That would drive me nuts!! Or knowing the answer in your head, but, you are unable to say it.  This is what she is dealing with in a nutshell... 

After spending 3+ days in the hospital she was able to come home. We were ALL very glad, about that. Everyone knows, well anyone who has had to endure spending nights in a hospital, how impossible it is to sleep without some heavy drugs. 

The day after she got home, my sister and I took her on a shopping trip to see how she would do.  She did awesome. We only had to step in a couple times to assist in a conversation, when the pharmacist and a waitress were speaking too fast.

We also cemented the fact that she is definitely the "same" Mom (well for the most part -- I won't pretend to predict the future.)  We were at the box store and I was looking for something. It should be noted that I will search and search and search and then ask someone. Mom walks in the store sees a clerk and asks. Much faster, but, not what I do and I have always been slightly irritated by it (for no rational reason.)  Anyway, she did just that and didn't stumble over any words or anything and probably saved us a 5-10 minute search. The item I was looking for was not where I would have ever looked.  Thank goodness for Mom!

It's going to take some hard work and patience to overcome this challenge. But, I know she can do it!!

All that to say, the reality of things is you shouldn't take anything for granted - EVER!  Just a word of wisdom from my wisdomness and from my "vast" experiences in life (please note the quotes -- I'm not being entirely serious about my vastness.)

Till next time....

No comments: