Saturday, June 18, 2011

To the parade!

Today was the annual Strawberry Festival in my local area. I actually made the effort to get up and be ready, once the other half called, to let us know he was done with work. I am sure he almost fainted, since it was only 8:20 on a Saturday morning. It should be noted, I do enjoy staying up WAY to late on the weekend and try to sleep in, if possible.

Because of our early start we got okay parking (aka we didn't have to walk THAT far) and we were able to scope out the desired food and "seats" for the parade. 

After finding said "seats" we headed to the Dunkin Donuts for some...... Well donuts!! I know, I know, we were at the Strawberry Festival so I should be buying strawberry stuff from the vendors. But, alas, I knew that I might get lucky and score a vanilla cream filled donut, the kind that I love the mostest!! And guess what I did!!! C#1 got a blue frozen drink and C #2 got a frozen lemonade with a donut (I did warn C#2 that donuts and lemonade don't make a good combination -- but she insisted.)

We went back to our "seats," ate our sugary filled breakfast and watched the parade. This year's parade seemed a tad bit longer than last year's. Thankfully it wasn't a scorcher or I would have melted (you know all wicked witch like...)  After the parade we found some lunch. I had lamb spiedies, the hubby had pork, C#1 had chicken spiedies and french fries and C #2 had just french fries. She said, "I'm not hungry, but, I will eat french fries!" Whatever..... As long as you eat something.  

Once we were done with lunch we roamed around, looking at the junk they had to sell (we didn't buy any, which was an incredible feat!)  Then the children decided they had to have funnel cakes. They weren't hard to find, but, boy were they expensive. $5.00 each?!?!? OYE! After asking C#1 & C#2 numerous times, if they were sure they wanted to eat a WHOLE one and saying, "Yes!" We plunked down our $10.00 hard earned buckaroos and went to listen to a band. It wasn't 10 minutes later that C #2 was too full - she had eaten less than 1/4 of it and C#1 said he wasn't as hungry as he thought and started picking at the top of it (he had eaten almost none.) Grrrrrrrrrrrrr....  In the future, if these two lovely humans decide they must have a funnel cake and I don't care if they are 10 and 13 or 16 and 19 THEY ARE GOING TO SHARE!!!!!!!!!!!!! Or pay for it themselves. That just really, REALLY irked me!! I know, I know. It's only $10.00, but, seriously. It's not like this is the first time this has happened ever. Children these days. Sheeeshhhhhh!

By then the other half decided he needed a beverage. He left me to tend to the children, while he went and fetched. I told him I didn't want anything. I was happy with my free bottle of water (I seriously was.)  He came back about 10 minutes later with two strawberry lemonades. I raised my eyebrows (I'm sure.) I had already reached my maximum sugar intake for the day and was headed over the cliff!! To my surprise it was actually very good. In the past, I have gotten similar strawberry drinks or food items and they were not any good or worth the money.  

By the time the hubby came back with the drinks. The lovely children were whining and complaining and wanting to go home. So after throwing out C#1's entire funnel cake, we ventured back to the vehicles and made our way home.  It had been a few hours, so I was ready, too. 

Once we got ourselves all cleaned up and bathroomed from said adventure, approximately ten minutes later, C#1 was asking if he could have a Rice Krispie Treat. Really?!?  This was after getting a funky blue drink at DD, eating a huge thing of french fries and spiedies, throwing out almost an entire funnel cake (within the last hour.)I think not. He settled for leftover pizza, which worked for me.

Now my goal for the rest of the day is to not eat anything else. I should add I ate 1/3 of a bag of salt and vinegar chips when I got home -- they are evvvvvvvvvvvvvvvvvil!! I am really, REALLY hoping my coffee "trick" will work. Coffee trick: Make pot of coffee and use it as a food replacement. I might succeed, but, I will probably have to go to bed early to ignore my stomach.

So there you have it. My day in a nutshell. Later!

No comments: