Sunday, April 24, 2011

I guess I will start with cooking. But first...

The name of my blog came to me while I was wracking my brain for something clever. I am not sure how clever "Becky's Biscuits" is. It can be taken as a cooking theme or something more questionable. It could have been "Becky's Buns" or something of that nature. I am sure that would have made you think, you are going to get an eyeful of something risque.  But, alas, that is definitely NOT what you are going to get here.  So, if you stopped by for a peep show, you might want to go somewhere else....

 Now that I have established where this is going (at least for the time being) I will press on with some of my cooking adventures. Let me start by saying that I was told about a week ago that there was an expectation of five, yes FIVE, pies over the weekend while a family friend was visiting. Not too much pressure or anything. Let me also add that this visitor goes to school at the CIA, not the government run facility, but the school "Culinary Institute of America." Which means that this person is probably a "food snob."  The family critics are pretty harsh, so I can't imagine what the CIA professional will have in store for me.  I started with a mixed berry crisp (dessert #1) - thing and some mixed berry muffins, which were very good! I used a Diner cookbook, so they were done right, except that they had blackberries and raspberries in them, NOT just blueberries (by themselves), which I have been informed (by the family -- not the CIA student) are the favorite. Also on that same day I got a beautiful package from Amazon.com that had my new cooking toy!!!! AND a new cookbook!!! I definitely need a new cookbook..... Okay, maybe not. One of these days, I will take a picture of my cookbooks and there will be a lot of shaking heads. ANYWAY, back to my story.... My new cooking toy!!!


  A Donut Hole Maker!! My #2 dessert was a basic donut hole recipe with a chocolate whipped cream filling and a sugar glaze. 


  
Dessert #3, the next morning was "Blueberry Donut Holes" with a cream cheese filling and a cinnamon spice glaze. These were really good and were ALL eaten.


I then decided I needed to do something more "pie" like and made "Banana Cake" with frosting (dessert #4) that I have been told would taste good on s&*t (the frosting)! Not that, that has ever been tried. Well, at least by me.... It was delicious!


AND I also made "Strawberry Lemon Tart" (dessert #5) which, we clearly didn't need with all of the food hanging around here. 


Not everyone loved that one. But, I liked the tartness of the lemon bottom part. For the final critique, I didn't get any complaints from the CIA student and a couple of "suggestions" from the family members (and you know what I thought of that....) But, I did make FIVE desserts!!! Although I was told he was "just kidding."

 It might seem like that is all I do is cook. Well, that's not entirely true. I do have to fold laundry, vacuum, dust and make sure everyone has brushed their teeth, etc... You know important stuff like that. But, I'll save that for another day.

 I think I will retire my cooking habits for today into tomorrow and have a "leftover" couple of days. I am not sure how well that will go over with the rest of the fam, but, I won't worry about that. 

On a side note...... I am very excited about tomorrow. I am going to see the movie "Water for Elephants" with two of my BFFs. I will have to post my thoughts on that, after I've seen it.

 Well, I guess that is all for now...... I have a shot of Sambuca in one hand, that I am slowly drinking and it will undoubtedly make me sleepy and off to bed I will go. (Yes, I know, major run-on sentence -- get used to it!) ;)