Friday, June 3, 2011

It's Official: I'm in love with Julia Child.

It all started a while back when I bought the movie "Julie & Julia" on dvd. I bought it used, I might add, since I loathe spending more than $10 for a dvd; new release or not!  I made a date with my BFF Jude, to watch it, since we both missed it in the theaters (which is far too expensive anyway.) Meryl Streep did an incredible job playing Julia. Who'd a thought the "Bon Appetit" lady would be so funny and sarcastic?!? Certainly not me!!

I received the "Mastering the Art of French Cooking" from my BFF, too. What an awesome cookbook!!!! I have made two awesome soup recipes from this particular title. Cream of Mushroom (which was amazing) and Fish soup, which after my slight changes (I couldn't follow a recipe exactly if you paid me!) was amazing, too!!

I then picked up a copy of "My Life in France." This was Julia's memoir about her cooking adventures in France. Rest assured I will not be par le voooing fran-say. I can barely recall my second language choice in high school (Spanish.) I could ask where the bathroom was, but, that's about it (in case you cared). After finishing this book, I wanted to be Julia's friend. It's too bad, I was born way too late for that. And the fact that it would be very unlikely, even if she were alive.  She came across as funny, sarcastic, and of course a major foodie!! My kind of person!! Thinking back on the movie,  and after reading the memoir, I would have liked the movie to focus entirely on Julia (not Julie.) She must have been an amazing person to know.

I  purchased a copy of "Baking with Julia", too. I am looking forward to flex my baking muscles and see if I can make the "perfect" French bread in my American kitchen. I feel confident that it can happen, since Julia has my back -- well sort of.  I know that all of her recipes are tested and proven to work, which works for me!

I also can't wait to plop in the dvd from the first series of television shows that she did, back in the day. I vaguely remember the show being on PBS and thinking how strange her voice was. I am certain that her technique and instruction will help me out!  I will certainly keep you posted. Until then "Bon Appetit!"

No comments: