Wednesday, August 1, 2012

THE BEST CORN BREAD EVERRRRRRRRRRR!

Corn bread has never been one of my favorite breads. The only kind I have really, realllllllly liked was a mix that I bought at Sam's Club. But, Sam's Club being all "Sam's Clubby" they only carried it for a very, very short time. BoooooHoooooooooooooooooo!

Then I happened upon a recipe in a magazine that my MIL had. I jotted it down and made a plan to make said bread.

C#1 was flitting around and I volunteered him to help me. Which means he gets 100% of the credit, regardless of what I say or do. I am totally good with that, though. While stirring the mixture he says to me, "It might be a good idea to figure out  how to cook."  Well duhhhhhhh... That might help you in the future and help me right now!  Of course, he's really not old enough to really worry about anything like that. Butttttt, who am I to discourage kitchen help?!?!

Anyway, after we mixed everything up and plunked it in the oven, this was our final product. I do apologize for not taking a picture before we started eating it.


Let me just say it was delicious. I slathered on a big dollop of butter and YUM! The hubby did the butter thing and then a little bit of honey. That was even better!!!  I think what my problem is with corn bread, is that I like it sweeter. That will explain the alterations I made to the recipe below. My changes will be in bold.

1 cup buttermilk (I used 1 cup 1% milk with 1 1/2 tbl lemon juice.)
2/3 cup honey
1/2  cup brown sugar, packed (Like I said I like it sweeter. So sue me! I am guessing on this measurement, since I just scooped a large spoonful and plopped it into the mix.)
2 large eggs
1 tbl vanilla (or more!)
4 tbl butter, melted
1 1/4 cup flour
1 cup cornmeal
1 tsp baking powder
1/4 tsp baking soda

Heat oven to 375. Grease 8 inch square pan. 
Whisk buttermilk, honey, eggs, brown sugar, vanilla and butter.
Whisk flour, cornmeal, baking soda and baking powder.
Whisk buttermilk mix into the flour mixture.
Transfer to pan. Bake until golden or toothpick comes out clean 30-35 minutes.
Cool in pan for 5 minutes.  Then EAT!!

My stupid oven is running wayyyyyyy to hot. So, I had to watch the bread. It took only half the time and the outside was a teense bit dark. But, since it was such a great recipe, you couldn't even tell.

I also made a lasagna or layered pasta dish thingy. I only had three lasagna noodles, so I resorted to using farfalle pasta.  And instead of spinach I used grated zucchini. It worked perfectly!!! I was so excited to use something garden-ey.  And everyone liked it. I don't need to share the recipe since you pretty much just trade up the spinach for zucchini. The only other thing I did was use a ton of cottage cheese (in place of ricotta) which made the dish even more cheesy. And of course the changing of the noodles. The layers were as follows. #1 pasta, 1/2 of the sauce, 1/2 of cooked beef mix on bottom in greased pan. #2 cottage cheese, egg, zucchini, mozzarella cheese, Parmesan cheese mix. #3 The rest of the beef mixture (ground beef, onions, garlic and whatever else you want.) #4 The rest of the sauce. #5 1 cup mozzarella cheese or however much you have. Bake for 30-35 (or shorter if your oven is being a PITA.)


Again, I apologize for not taking a picture first. This meal was a hit, I might add.  And the leftovers are delightful, too.

That's it for now. Till next time!




No comments: