Friday, August 24, 2012

Pesto Smoothie Anyone?!?

Since I had a grocery bag full of basil, I decided to -- you guessed it --  make more pesto!!  I thought I would use my handy manual food processor.  But, sadly after "pumping" it a zillion and one times, all I managed to do is mix the oil and Parmesan cheese. The pine nuts were still "pine-nutty" and the basil was still leafy. UGHHHHHHHHHHHHH! I did NOT want to use my smoothie maker, but alas, that is what I had to do.  I knew it would work, since I've used it in the past, but, I didn't want to gunk up the machinery with basil leaves.  Buttttt, that is what the dishwasher is for.  I made a LOT of basil and finished off my olive oil before I was able to finish off my pesto. So the very last batch has a smidgen of Canola oil. I don't think it skewed the taste too much, so all in all it was a win.


I packaged up the pesto into small ziplock baggies and double wrapped them in a bigger ziplock and put them in the freezer for future use. 

I also had many cherry tomatoes that needed used or needed to be "fixed" for later use. I happened upon a fantastic idea to roast them!  It was super easy and pretty quick, too! All you have to do is plunk some olive oil in the bottom of a 10x13 pan. Add some dried seasonings (I used garlic powder, S&P, spaghetti seasoning.)  Cut the tomatoes in half and stir them into the olive oil mix. Flip the tomato pieces cut side down and roast for two hours at 325 degrees, until they are wrinkly.  It only took me half the time with my hyper-active hot oven.  I then scooped them into a freezer ziplock and put them in the freezer for future use, too.


And here is my breakfast of champions:  Coffee (of course!), fried egg and toast with pesto/tomato slices! DELISH! I love this time of year!



I have a "calamity" to blog about, soon. But, I'm gonna wait until it's all fixed. It was definitely unexpected and rather annoying, to say the least...


1 comment:

Sarah said...

Looks like my kind of breakfast!