Monday, August 27, 2012

A Movie Review: Red Tails

The hubby and I were in a movie buying mood and happened upon a reasonably priced copy of "Red Tails." We didn't go see it in the theater, because it had gotten mediocre to bad reviews. Which I thought was surprising since the main actors were well known and it was directed by a well known dude, too.


Let me just say I really, really wanted to like this movie. The dog fights looked really amazing, buttttttt...  First off the musical soundtrack was all wrong. Think 1990s action music interspersed with potentially appropriate music for this film.  Then the acting. UGHHHHHHHHHHHH! Bad, bad, bad... And I know it wasn't the fault of the actors, since they had been in good stuff before.  I watched the whole thing, and wasn't unhappy it was over. Not that it was boring, just poorly done.  C#1 and C#2 liked it. But, you can hardly take movie advice from 10 and 13 year olds.  

The hubby then put on the special features and that is what redeemed it. The documentary was wayyyyyyyyyy better than the actual movie. Of course, it interviewed the people that were portrayed in the movie. I would skip this flick, if you haven't already seen it.  It looks pretty, but, it isn't very good.

HBO did a movie called "The Tuskegee Airmen" in 1995. Laurence Fishburne stars in that one. I haven't seen it in a while, but, it definitely rated better and I don't recall it sucking so much.  So my advice is see that one. Not "Red Tails."   Of course, you could just watch the documentary on the "Red Tails" dvd, since that was quite good, too.


That's it for now. Till next time...


No comments: