Wednesday, August 8, 2012

Green Bean Salad ~ Blueberry Buckle ~ Zucchini Bars!

I have been in a recipe making mood. And I got my hands on some garden fresh green beans -- Thanks Dad!  I have been craving "Green Bean and Tomato Salad" and I finally got to make it!!  I got this recipe from my friend and I lovvvvvvvvvveeeeeeeeeeeeeee it!!! My additions will be in bold italics.


1. Bring a large saucepan of water to a boil. Add about a pound of fresh, cleaned green beans and simmer until tender (about 5 minutes.) Drain the beans and run cold water over them to cool. Drain completely.
2.  Place beans in a large bowl and mix in 2T lime juice or vinegar (you can use lemon juice concentrate, too), 1T olive oil, sliced jalapenos (I didn't) if you like it hot, salt, some oregano and cilantro (I used fresh basil.) Let sit for half an hour.
3. When ready to serve, gently mix in 1/4 cup chopped red onion (can use whatever kind you have) and 1/2 cup feta or other crumbly cheese. Top with avocado slices (I didn't use) and chopped tomato. I stirred it all together!

This is so delicious! I could eat it all day, every day!

And onto "Blueberry Buckle." I got this recipe from another friend a long time ago.  This turned out splendidly!




1/4c. butter, softened
3/4 c. sugar 
2 tsp. baking powder
2 eggs
1 tsp. vanilla (MORE!)
2 1/4 cup flour, divided
2 tsp. salt
1/2 buttermilk (I used the milk, lemon juice trick.)
2 1/2 c. fresh or frozen blueberries

Topping
1/4 c. flour
1/4 c. cold butter (I used softened.)
1/4 c. packed brown sugar
1/4 c. sugar
1/2 tsp. cinnamon

In mixing bowl, cream butter and sugar. Add eggs and vanilla, mix well. Combine 2 cups of flour, baking powder and salt; add creamed mixture alternating with buttermilk. Mix well.  Toss berries in remaining flour; fold into batter. Spread batter in a greased 9" square baking pan. For topping, combine flour, sugars, and cinnamon; cut in butter until the mixture resembles coarse crumbs. Sprinkle over batter. Bake @ 375 degrees for 25-30 minutes or until a toothpick comes out clean. Cool on wire rack.

And then there was the zucchini recipe that I got out of Pillsbury: Best Desserts, 1998.

Zucchini Bars with Penuche Frosting (page 315.)



I am far too lazy to write out another recipe. These bars were really good. The frosting is so sweet it hurt my teeth! 

I have more recipes to share, but, I will save that for another day.
Till next time....




No comments: