Friday, August 3, 2012

Rhu-berry Pie!

In an effort to find something besides diner muffins to make with my blueberries, I perused Pillsbury: Best Desserts cookbook and found "New Fashioned Rhu-berry Pie" (page 78.)

It was very good! And everyone else liked it, too!  Of course, I made some very minor changes, which I will note in bold.



Crust:
1 15 oz refrigerated pie crust or pastry for two crust pie (I made my Mom's famous never fail pie crust.)


Filling:
2 cups cut up fresh rhubarb (I used frozen, worked fantastically!)
2 cups fresh blueberries
3/4 cup sugar (I used 1 cup.)
3/4 cup all purpose flour
1/8 tsp nutmeg (I used cinnamon and WAY more than 1 tsp.)
1 tbl vanilla or more!


1. Prepare pie crust in 9 inch pan.

2. Heat oven to 400 degrees. In large bowl combine all ingredients; toss gently to mix. Spoon into crust lined pan. Top with second crust; seal edges and flute. Cut slits in several places in top crust.


The crust actually worked for me! This does not happen often. Which means it peeled off the wax paper without falling apart!!!


3. Bake 400 degrees for 40 to 45 degrees or until golden brown. Cover edge of crust with strips of foil after 15 or 20 minutes of baking to prevent excessive browning.


Sadly the oven was still too hot. I guess I will have to set it to the lowest temperature and see if that makes any difference. Otherwise my crust would have been perfect -- boohooooooo!!

Since I had the oven on during this hot day, I decided to make the diner muffins, too. And because the oven was still being a PITA they only took half the time. Thankfully I was paying attention, so none of them got burned! 


They are supposed to be "jumbo," but, I don't have any cupcake pans like that. So, I made 18 vs the claimed 6. Which is better, all around. They will definitely last longer.

That's it for today. Till next time!




1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Ummm ... I'm guessing it was WAY more vanilla in that recipe, knowing how much you like to add it by the vatful.