Monday, August 20, 2012

A Funny Story and Pesto Creations!

Over the weekend the hubby and I headed out to get some stuff at a local hardware store -- not my favorite place. But, I got to go to one of my favorite places, Sam's Club.  We had just eaten and were in need of a pit stop. We shoulda done that while we were at the restaurant, but, alas, we didn't.  I grabbed a cart, because, who knows what awesome bulk item I would have to buy!  The hubby was concerned someone would take the cart or "put" it away while we "pit stopped," so we went in shifts. I took the cart down one of the nearby aisles and happened upon the feminine hygiene section. Viola! I did need that humongous box of tampons, so I grabbed it and headed back over to the bathrooms. On the way back I did have a passing thought, that the dearest hubby might "mind" the only item in the cart.  He was out and upon arrival he looked at me, looked at the cart, then back at me and said, "Really..."  Bahhwahahwhahahahahwhahaaaa!! I laughed the entire way to the ladies room. After exiting the restroom, it was apparent he survived the ordeal. No one cared and he didn't seem to mind too much either, since he was checking his phone and completely ignoring the cart anyway.  It definitely gave me a good laugh for the day!

Onto the Pesto Creations!  Since I had a container of pesto to use, I have been working it into every meal.  The first item on the menu was a "Pesto Omelet."  The hubby came up with that one, but, I was left to figure it out.


2 eggs
splash of milk
S&P
1-2 Tb Parmesan cheese
1-2 Tb pesto
1/4 - 1/2 cup shredded mozzarella cheese

Whisk together eggs, milk, S&P, Parmesan cheese, 1Tb pesto.  Put in prepared skillet (butter or margarine or Pam or a combo.) Cook on one side until not runny. Flip over and then spread the rest of the pesto onto the cooked egg side and sprinkle with Parmesan cheese and evenly sprinkle with mozzarella cheese. Fold one half of the omelet onto the other and let cook for a minute or so, to melt the cheese.

This was a hit! I had to make them two days in a row.

Thennnnnn... I was trying to make a protein packed lunch for S#4. I made grilled chicken breasts with a pesto sauce top and mozzarella cheese.


(The recipe is for one chicken breast, I used three, obviously.)


1 large chicken breast, cut in half.
2 Tb pesto sauce
2 slices mozzarella cheese (shredded or whatever would work, too.)
Italian seasoning, S&P, garlic powder.

Sprinkle the breasts with seasonings on both sides. Place on grill and cook until white and juices run clear. (I sadly overcooked the chicken -- the cut made it look like they weren't done, when they were -- GRRRrrrr! But, the pesto/cheese made it all better.) Spread on pesto and top each with mozzarella cheese slice. Grill until cheese is melted. I used a slice, but, should have used grated. It would have melted faster.  

And then my friend made some homemade Italian bread and gave us a loaf. One of my most favorite summertime eats is a tomato sandwich (toasted bread, mayo, sliced tomatoes and salt.) Since, I have pesto I added that to the sandwich. It was delicious!!!!!!!!!! 


A friend on FB posted this prize picture. I find it to be hilarious!


Too true!!!!

That's it for today. Till next time!





2 comments:

a bit much said...

My new fav for lunch: scrambled cheesey-eggs and tomato slices on a slice of pesto-laden toast. You're starting to think a lot like me. You should be afraid. Very afraid! The pesto has been going on all sandwiches here. A thin layer spread on the bread makes everything "special." I sure hope you bought more parm on your shopping venture!

BB said...

Can you believe I forgot to buy more?!?!? Thankfully S#4 saved the day. I made more pesto yesterday and will be making more to freeze today! It's sooooo delicious!!