Saturday, August 18, 2012

No Pasta Lasagna and C#1 Makes Cheesy Bread!

When I was on vacay with my Mom and S#3, S#3 and I decided to make a pasta less lasagna. With the major influx of squash and zucchini, this was very easy. We didn't follow a recipe. But it worked out perfectly!




1lb ground beef, cooked with 1/2 cup of onions and some minced garlic.
2 cups of very chopped up broccoli, nuked in the microwave to make it soft.
1 zucchini, julienned or cheese grated into little strips.  Cook this in some butter/olive oil to soften.
1-2 cups spaghetti sauce.
1 largish container of cottage cheese (NOT the huge Sam's Club size, but, the ones you get at a regular grocery store.)
Italian seasoning, parsley, S&P
1 egg
Parmesan cheese.
Mozzarella cheese, sliced.





Put about 1/4 cup of spaghetti sauce onto bottom of 10 x 13 casserole pan. Spread the zucchini, evenly over that. MIX the spaghetti sauce WITH the ground beef in the pan after meat is cooked. Spread 1/2 of this over the zucchini. Put 1/2 of the mozzarella cheese slices over this.

Mix together the cottage cheese, egg, parm cheese, nuked broccoli and seasonings. Spread all of this evenly over the ground beef layer.



The pan was getting VERY full, so we topped it with the rest of the ground beef/sauce mix and then finished it off with the mozzarella cheese slices. Baked it for 30 - 45 minutes or so. Until it was bubbly. We let it sit out for a bit. Butttttt, it didn't stay together nicey nice like a lasagna, so we used a spoon to scoop it out. It tasted great with toasted garlic bread!  And I am not even sure I got the layers right.  It really doesn't even matter. Just slop it all together and it will work.

When I got home, I purchased some ground beef to make dinner. I asked C#1 if he wanted hamburgers or spaghetti and meatballs. He chose the latter.

I should state that I went to my "favorite" store Walmart and they had ground beef for .02 more than at the place I was going to purchase it on sale. It would cost me more in gas to make that worth my while. So, I purchased Walmart's meat and saved myself a trip. I should also state that I was being a good doobie and actually WENT to a store with the specific sale, because it was their store brand cheese andddddddddddd technically Walmart price match isn't supposed to match that ----- even though they have. It all depends on the cashier. They had their store brand 16oz chunks of mozzarella cheese for $2.98. Walmart charges $3.99, which isn't bad on a regular day. Andddd this particular store had their brand shredded cheese on sale for 2 for $4.00.  Needless to say $50.00 later, we have a LOT of cheese. But, we will be all dairy happy for a nice, long while.

I then went to Walmart and only saved $1.00 with the price match. That was on Friendly's ice cream, which they now carry. WHOOHOO!! I didn't pore over the ads this time and the prices that were sale prices were already "matched" by Walmart's regular prices.  I also was buying a gallon of milk (it is cheaper there than Sam's Club) and a nice gentleman pointed out that the milks on the bottom shelf had a longer expiration. I didn't even see those, because I always find the longest expiration possible. I thanked him for that, cuz I woulda missed it.

Anyway back to the spaghetti and meatballs meal. I was working on the sauce. Which only consisted of adding a can of Hunt's spaghetti sauce to a partial can of tomato sauce and then adding some tomato pieces that I was able to save from some damaged garden tomatoes.  In the process of cleaning up the freezer to fit some ground beef, I pulled out a loaf of french bread. You know those loaves that go on sale for less than a dollar because they're "old." Well I figured out they freeze quite well even in the paper bag thingy they come in and you can use them to make whatever!  So I asked C#1 if he wanted some cheesy bread. He was very excited about that, but, I couldn't do it, since I was covered in raw meat up to my elbows. He found the recipe and with a little assistance he was able to do it all by himself. He was soooooooo  proud.  Here's a picture of the completed meal.  We were all very full after that!


That's it for today. Coming up: Pesto creations!
Till next time...





No comments: