Sunday, May 20, 2012

It's Garden Time!

Well not actually a garden. I am far to lazy to actually stake out a spot to till the soil, compost the soil, love the soil. So I have enlisted the help of C#2 and now have five garden boxes and various potted plants.

Four of the five garden boxes were used last year and were overrun with weeds. I offered C#2 a monetary incentive to weed them for me, which she happily agreed.  I thought it was going to take some time to finish this job.  However, I don't think it took her more than 15 minutes. AND she did a good job, too. Not that I'm complaining, but, I thought the task would take more time and therefore get my money's worth?! I guess I should just be glad that I didn't have to do it.

She announced today that her current game system isn't working right and she wanted to upgrade. Truth be told she just wants what C#1 bought with his birthday cash.  C#1 hoards his money, while any money C#2 has burns a hole in her pocket.  Anywayyyyyyy... I thought that since she has something she is actually saving for I might give her incentive to do more jobs for me (aka watering/weeding). So it was decided to give her a weekly stipend for such a task and thus save money for her new game system.  She agreed, again, and now we will see how that works out.

When C#2 was weeding the garden boxes she found two lone ranger lettuce that decided to grow all by it's lonely.  She was careful to not damage them, so guess what?!? We have a little bit of yummy lettuce that required zero work on our part. YAYAY!



And then today my MIL asked if we had someplace for tomato plants and how many did we want. "Wellllll, ummmmmm. How many are you willing to give us!??!" In a totally not greedy, super excited, since I didn't have to plant, water, pet these fine specimens from the very start, way!!! 

We ended up with a healthy amount and with a couple pepper plants, and herbages to boot! 

C#2 and I spent quite a lot of time this afternoon planting these plants and also starting some lettuce and herbs from scratch (aka seeds.) Now it's all about the "watering and waiting (and weeding --blah) game". Kind of exciting. I am sort of starting to understand some of the "love" of gardening. Buttttt, there is a lot to be said for being the recipient of others hard gardening work without all the hassle.  


Here is our start. Day 1:


These are actually supposed to be filled to the top with soil. But, for some reason, I never buy enough.  The tomatoes never seem to mind.



I have no idea what is in this. Only time will tell.

Well that's it for today. Till next time....


No comments: