Tuesday, October 2, 2012

Cheesy Potato Soup & Twiced Bake Potato Casserole

C#1 had his first marching band extravaganza and on my way home I thought of a "fun" thing to make for lunch.


I should add that C#1 whined and complained about going to this "graded" event. But, when he was done, he decided he had a good time...

Anyway, I realized I had leftover cheesy potatoes and decided to figure out a way to make that into soup.

First off you will need leftover cheesy potatoes:

2lb bag hash browns
1 can cream of chicken soup (I usually use cream of chicken -- it tastes better.)
1 pint sour cream (or more)
salt/pepper - onion salt (or garlic powder)
10 oz of cheddar cheese (or more)
Mix all of the above ingredients and then bake for 45-55 minutes at 350.

Onto the soup:

Saute 1/4 onion and minced garlic
Add 1.5-2 cups leftover cheesy potatoes,  2 cups milk, 2-3 chicken bouillon cubes
1/2 cup velveeta cheese... Add whatever water to make it more or less creamier.
Sprinkle with granulated garlic, more salt and pepper if needed. Sprinkle with cheddar cheese... Eat and enjoy!


And then today I was making a "favorite" (not really) hot dogs and that usually is accompanied by some sort of potato.  DH suggested cheesy potatoes, but, I just made those and was determined to find something new to make.  I happened upon a recipe in Paula Deen's Celebrates! book on page 209.  Of course, there is loads of butter and cheesy goodness!

Twice Baked Potato Casserole

8 medium potatoes, about 4 pounds
One 8 oz package cream cheese, softened at room temperature (I only used 4 oz.)
1/2 cup butter (I only used 1/4 cup)
2 cups shredded cheddar cheese
1 pint sour cream
2 garlic cloves minced
Salt and Pepper
Chives and cooked bacon for garnish (I didn't do either -- too lazy.)

1. Preheat oven to 350. Bake the potatoes for 1 hr and 15 minutes (I microwaved them for about 20 minutes total -- all cut up -- much quicker.)

Then the recipe gets all wordy. I mashed the potatoes -- skin and all with all of the above mentioned ingredients (use only 1.5 cups of cheese,) minus the chives and bacon.  Spread into a greased casserole 10x13 or smaller. Bake for 15-20 minutes until hot. Sprinkle with remaining one cup of cheese and bake for 5-10 minutes, until the cheese melts.  


It was delicious! It definitely tasted like a baked potato all mushed together! It will be getting a big smiley face with a "Super Yummy!"

So there you have it. Some starchy recipes to add to your repertoire.

Till next time...


No comments: