Sunday, October 28, 2012

Preparing for the storm...

I had a brilliant thought on Thursday and got all the storm necessities bought - aka bread, juice boxes, chips.


A two pack, of course, from my lovely Sam's Club.


And I am very thankful I did. I have seen many posts where these items are scarce with the impending storm.  I did not, however, buy any water. I figured I would make due with what's in the fridge and we have a wide assortment of other beverages to fill the gap.



Water and beer, of course.

And if this thing happens like it's supposed to, the power will be out. I think that is the major concern this time around. Sooooooooooooooo, since I didn't think of it on my last shopping venture, I ventured to a local general store and bought some baby wipes. NOT for a baby, but, for any prolonged lack of a shower.. And we have mouthwash -- lots of it (notice the twin pack message on the side of the mouthwash.)


I also found the box of batteries, wrangled up three flashlights, an aim & flame,  and a bunch of tea light candles. 


I found my coffee percolator. And also my carafe. If I can beat the power outage, I hope to have the carafe full of coffee. That thing will keep things hot for at least 12 hours!  


Since we came home early, I decided to do some baking. I had two loaves of frozen bread dough that had risen and then were not used. I had to put it in the fridge and hope it didn't "kill" it. I found a Mr. Food recipe for "Pizza Bread." And it turned out just fine.

I took many liberties. It's basically roll out your dough, smear some olive oil on it, sprinkle with 1/4 cup chopped onion, 1/4 cup chopped pepperoni, 3/4 cup pizza cheese, spaghetti (or Italian) seasonings, and garlic powder. Roll up like a jelly roll and bake up to 30 minutes, until it's brown.





And I made cornbread muffins. I added about 1 cup more sugar than the recipe said. And also honey and brown sugar, but, they still weren't too sweet. But, I slathered one of them with butter and added a little bit of honey and then they were delicious!


I do have a really good recipe somewhere, but, I couldn't find it. The hubby liked them, so it was all okay.

Hopefully things won't be too bad with the weather. But, only time will tell.

Till next time...
















No comments: