Wednesday, October 31, 2012

And Now I Remember Why I Don't Like Monopoly...

C#2 was whining and complaining that no one had ever played the board game Monopoly with her.  Wellllll, we had a sort of unexpected day off from school and I decided to get that off her ticket. We started at around 1:30 pm andddddddddddddddddddddddddddddddddddddddd it didn't end until almost 6:00 pm.  I did tell her it was a long game, but, I don't remember it taking that long.

At around the 5:00 mark, she started quitting every five minutes and saying, "That's not fair. You aren't playing nice (aka letting her win.) blahhhhhhhh blahhhhhhhhhhh blahhhhhhhh..."  As a rule with all children and definitely when they are "older" I don't let them win. I mean come on. It is called reality. SOMETIMES-YOU-LOSE!  Get used to it.

I should state that when I was working for a school age child care, the fun thing to do was play card games with the children.  They (children ages 7-12) were playing spades, hearts, rummy, and the standard lame-o games war, go fish. Anyway, the ones that played the first mentioned games were "hardcore"! Same rules applied with them. We (me and the other teachers who did this) did NOT let them win.  So when it was all said and done we had third graders kicking some major card game @ss!!  And I am not even kidding!!

Anywayyyyyy, back to C#2.  I did win. I kicked her butt. I even traded the green properties with houses for her light blue properties with hotels and she still couldn't get it together. Of course, I did own most of the board.  And I did accept one of her not great deals for her, when the game was getting really boring.  But, I helped her, too. I did NOT buy Parkplace when she landed on it and didn't want it. I wanted to buy it sooooooo bad, but, being the "nice" Mommy, I didn't. I guess I should mention that later in the game when I landed on it, I did buy it! I know how special those dark blue properties are!!!

I am hoping C#2 got Monopoly off her radar for the rest of her life, but, she's still young, so more torturing may ensue.  Yay me.



On a side note from the last blog. We thankfully were missed by that dreadful Sandy. Not even a power flicker. And the kids had a day off school to boot! We are very, veryyyyyyyyyy thankful!

 My prayers are going out to all that were affected by this - NYC, NJ and the other areas.  Especially my SIL who didn't fare so well, either.

That's it for this morning. Till next time....


2 comments:

a bit much said...

If you think Monopoly is a long game, run away screaming if anyone ever asks to to join in a game of Risk! It can go on for days ... literally!

BB said...

I hateeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeee RISK!!! I played it once. JUST ONCE!