Thursday, October 4, 2012

My Furry Friend Dexter & Apple Cream Pie

I was headed down to the "library" to get something - I don't remember what - and as I was opening the door in the dark garage, I almost smooshed my new furry friend, Dexter.


After making a slight shrieking noise, I ran back upstairs and grabbed a ruler and my camera. I was sure Dexter wanted his picture taken. Of course, he was all squirmy and jumpy,so it was kind of a chore and scary to actually get the picture with the ruler.  

I decided to let Dexter live. Even though C#1 and DH didn't agree. He was inside the garage. Which means he was close to getting up into the actual house. Which would in fact result in an immediate death sentence.  But, maybe he'll just go into the ground like a nice little spider and take a nap.  Or maybe he'll show up in the house and face his ultimate doom. 

I still have some apples to use and found this delicious recipe that I just had to try:


Apple Cream Pie

This recipe came from The Taste of Home Classic Cookbook on page 281.

4 cups thinly sliced apples
2 tablespoons sugar (or more!)
2 tablespoons lemon juice
1/4 cup butter
1 pkg (8 oz) cream cheese, softened
1-1/2 cup cold milk, divided
1 pkg (3.4 oz) instant vanilla pudding mix
1 tsp grated lemon peel (I didn't have any, so I used lemon juice)
1 pastry shell (9 inches), baked
1/4 cup apricot or strawberry jelly, melted (didn't do)

In large skillet, saute apples, sugar, lemon juice in butter until apples are tender. Cool. In a mixing bowl, beat the cream cheese until smooth; gradually beat in 1 cup milk, dry pudding mix and lemon peel. Add remaining milk; beat until thickened. Spread into pastry shell. Arrange apples over filling. Brush with preserves. Refrigerate for 1 hour before serving.  Brush with additional preserves if desired. Yield: 6-8 servings.

There was some skepticism with this mystery pie, since the fam loves the traditional apple. But, this one proved to be winner and super easy!!  I will definitely be making it again!

That's it for today. Till next time...





No comments: