Wednesday, October 17, 2012

A Rice-A-Roni Treat and a Super Busy Day!

I had chicken breast out for dinner and had to figure out something interesting to make with it.  Decisions, decisions...  I then got the urge to make something TexMex.

I have always loved "Rice-A-Roni." I have my favorite flavors. Back in the day I would make a meal out of a box of this "gourmet" food item.

Anywayyyy, I foraged for a box of Spanish "Rice-A-Roni." And Whaaa-LA! I cooked it up using most of the directions. Instead of diced tomatoes, I added about 1/2 cup of salsa instead. Then I set that aside and cut up the chicken breast into cubes.  I added this to sauteed chopped onions and minced garlic and then added "Southwest Chipotle" seasoning, S&P and a little bit of chili powder.  I then added a quart bag of frozen whole tomatoes and a frozen bag of corn on the cob kernels, once the chicken was mostly done.

After the above was almost boiling I added the cooked rice and cooked until it was heated through.

I sprinkled eat serving with shredded cheddar cheese and a dollop of sour cream.


It was delicious!!!! And everyone liked it. Well almost everyone. C#2 has a slight aversion to rice and only ate a couple bites.

Then today C#1 had an appointment. He is in a different school and we/I wasn't sure of the correct procedure.  Sooooooooo being the lovely parent that I am, I called the school to get the lowdown.  Is that over parenting?  Should I have let him figure it out?  I guess I will never know.  I know when I was a poor, little student I had to figure out all that crap on my own.  But, in my defense it made it easier for everyone and everything worked out perfectly!

I then got home and thought I would have beat the hubby after a super busy day --- read cramming as many things into a trip, since gas is just under $4.00 a gallon. Here's a quick run down, in case you care.

Post office --> grocery store (for hubby's special beer) --> school -->  appointment --> bank --> barber shop (C#2's hair was getting tooooo long) --> gas station --> HOME!!!

But, back to the hubby actually being home -- early.  Jeez Louise! Why's he home already?!?! He was actually scaring off the snow, for the next few years, by attaching his new toy, a snow thrower, to the tractor.  I sure hope that works -- although that makes for an expensive "snow deterrent."  I will let you know how effective it actually is.

That's it for today. Till next time....

No comments: