Tuesday, June 19, 2012

A new cookbook and an awesome chicken recipe!!

Apparently I'm blog happy today. And speaking of not having any qualms about buying more cookbooks, here is my most recent purchase:


I didn't really care about the "lighter & healthier" part. But, the reviews I read were all glowing and it was dirt cheap at $1.49 (plus a small combined shipping fee.)

I was looking for a good chicken recipe and the one I chose claimed to be "habit-forming." Let's just say after the first bite, I was convinced. And then, everyone was raving!!  I wasn't smart enough to take a picture, but, I found a similar picture on the internet.


Everyone should try it. It was A-MAZING! Here is the recipe with a couple minor tweaks of my own.

Chicken Cutlets with Mushrooms and Mozzarella (page 80-81, in book)
Chicken cutlets
2-2 1/2 lbs chicken cutlets (I used regular chicken breasts - 2 - which I cut into four pieces.)
3-4 eggs (I only used 2)
1 1/4 tsp water (I used a splash of milk.)
2 - 2 1/2  cups Italian style bread crumbs (I used Italian style PANKO bread crumbs.)
2 tbl chopped fresh parsley (I used a couple shakes of spaghetti seasoning and garlic powder.)
1/4 cup olive oil (I just used a decent amount to make it cook without sticking.)

Mushroom and cheese topping
2 cups chopped mushrooms (I only used about 3/4 cup, since that is all I had.)
2 tbl olive oil
Salt and pepper to taste
Mozzarella cheese thinly sliced, 1-2 per cutlet (I used freshly shredded mozzarella.)

Please note: The recipe is slightly wordy, so this is a quick synopsis.

Gently pound chicken until very thin. Beat the eggs and water in bowl. Spread bread crumbs and parsley on large plate. Dredge chicken in egg, then through the bread crumbs. Place in olive oiled skillet.

Clean, then chop/slice the mushrooms. Heat oil in skillet over medium heat. Stir in mushrooms, salt and pepper, saute until soft. Set aside in bowl. I actually did this FIRST (before the chicken dredging), then used the same pan to cook everything.

Cook Cutlets:
In large skillet add 1/4 cup olive oil. Heat for 1-2 minutes. Add chicken; cook until golden on both sides.

To Assemble:
Place cooked cutlets on large nonstick baking sheet. Arrange cooked mushrooms on top of each cutlet; top each with mozzarella cheese. Bake until cheese is melted. About 5 minutes. It was really hot out, so I used a toaster oven -- worked like a charm!

Today I also tried my hand at making potato chips. I found a blog online that claimed to have a recipe that made crispy chips in the microwave. ANDDDDDDDD it only took 6 minutes.  I did what they said, then sprinkled some sea salt on the slices.


Here is the final product:


Yes, they look brown and potentially crispy. But, they weren't. And I put too much salt on them. They were okay, but, potato chips are not supposed to be chewy.  C#2 liked them, but, the hubby spit it out. Hmmmmm.... I guess that was a fail. 

That is it for today. Till next time.








2 comments:

Anonymous said...

I have everything I need to give the chicken recipe a whirl, and just perfect because chicken is what I took out of the freezer for tonight. re: DH spewing the chip out -- aw, c'mon ... how bad could it be?!?

BB said...

I think it was a texture thing. The chewiness was all wrong. It didn't taste too horrible.