Tuesday, November 20, 2012

Who Wants Some Fried Pumpkin Pie?!? ME!!!

I was put to the challenge to make fried pumpkin pie. Challenge accepted. I had recently watched a Paula Deen episode about chicken empanada thingies that were made with pre-made pie dough and fried. I thought, well there must be a way to do pumpkin pie.  I went straight to the internet since time was of the essence.

I found a blog and basically followed the recipe. My changes are in bold.  The recipe is after the pictures... http://www.heatherchristo.com/cooks/2012/10/26/fried-pumpkin-hand-pies/


I used my drink mixer thingy to make the circles -- it was a little less than 4 inches, but, worked.


The filling that I pre-made. 


The filling and marshmallows on the pie crust circles and then sealed in with a fork. 



Ready for frying!!


They cooked up super fast!!


Then I dipped them in a bowl with sugar/cinnamon.



Recipe: Fried Pumpkin Hand Pies

Ingredients

  • -1 recipe Best Crust Recipe, chilled (I used pre-made Pillsbury Dough)
  • Pumpkin Vanilla Bean Filling: 
  • -1 15oz can pumpkin puree
  • -1 cup brown sugar
  • -1 Tbs Vanilla bean paste (I just added vanilla extract)
  • -1 tsp cinnamon
  • -½ nutmeg
  • -½ ginger
  • -½ tsp salt
  • -1 cup cream
  • -2 eggs
  • (Mini marshmallows!)
  • -1 quart Vegetable Oil for frying

Instructions

  1. 1. Preheat the oven to 350 degrees.

  2. 2. In a 9×9 baking dish, add all of the filling ingredients.

  3. 3. Combine until smooth.

  4. 4. Bake the pumpkin filling for 45 minutes. Take the filling out and leave until cooled.

  5. 5. Using a 4 inch cookie cutter, cut circles out of the chilled pie dough.

  6. 6. Spoon the chilled filling into the center of the circles. (Top with 3 mini marshmallows)

  7. 7. Fold the pie dough over and pinch and fork tine the edges. Chill in the refrigerator while you heat the oil.

  8. 8. Heat the oil in a heavy pot over medium heat.

  9. 9. Gently fry the pumpkin hand pies until the dough is golden brown.

  10. 10. Drain for a moment on paper towels and sprinkle with cinnamon sugar.

  11. 11. Eat while hot!
Preparation time: 20 minute(s)
Cooking time: 1 hour(s)
Number of servings (yield): 12
I ate three of them, C#2 ate FIVE!! She really liked them. I had to stop myself. My stomach IS full and I need to listen.  There are too many food filled days coming up!! 
I highly recommend these! Calories be damned!!!
That said, I hope everyone has a "Happy Thanksgiving!" 
Till next time...

No comments: