Saturday, November 17, 2012

Pumpkin Pancakes!

I was doing my normal routine and perusing FB to see what all the peeps were up to. I noticed that my BFF was at IHop enjoying some pumpkin pancakes. That sounded downright delicious! I was not, however, making a trip to an IHop.

I started looking through cookbooks and found one for pumpkin pancakes, but, it didn't sound alllll that special. I pulled out my copy of The Pioneer Woman Cooks by Ree Drummond and happened upon "Edna Mae's Sour Cream Pancakes" on page 76-77.  That sounded awesome and I figured I could just throw in some pumpkin and cinnamon.... But would it work!??!?!?


OF COURSE!!!

It claims to make 12 - 4 inch pancakes, but, I only managed about 8 and I "followed" the recipe. So I whipped up a second batch, just so everyone could have a healthy helping.

Here's the recipe with my additions or changes in bold --->

1 cup sour cream
7 Tbsp all-purpose flour 
1 Tbsp sugar (I added 1 Tbsp more.)
1 tsp baking soda 
1/2 tsp salt
2 large eggs
1/2 tsp vanilla extract (or more!!)
butter
maple syrup
Cinnamon!
1/2 -3/4 cup pumpkin (from a can.)


Place an iron skillet or griddle over medium-low heat.  (a regular skillet works just fine.)

Place the sour cream in a medium bowl. Dump in the flour, sugar, baking soda, and salt (AND cinnamon and pumpkin!). Stir together very, very gently. 

Whisk the eggs in a separate bowl. Add vanilla and stir to combine. (I added the vanilla to the sour cream mix -- I didn't see why it needed to go into the eggs.)

Pour the egg mixture into the sour cream/flour mixture. Stir together gently.

Melt about a tablespoon of butter in the skillet (I used more butter/shortening than this and it worked fantastically!). Pour the batter into the skillet 1/4 cup at a time. Cook for 1 to 1-1/2 minutes, then flip the pancakes over (they cooked for a little bit longer than stated here -- they were too runny otherwise.) Cook for another 45 seconds and remove to a plate. Repeat with the remaining batter. 

These were on for a teense bit too long, butttt, they tasted perfectly fine!

Top with soft butter and warmed maple syrup.


So there you have it. Your very own homemade pumpkin pancakes!  Think of all the money you will save! And you can stay at home -- all snuggy warm.

Till next time!




No comments: