Sunday, September 2, 2012

The Fair and a Recipe For Rice Pudding!

This past week me, C#1 and C#2 went to a local fair with my BFF and her grands.  C#1 and C#2 were very excited to go on the rides and eat fair food, to say the least.

We got there mid afternoon and I was pleased to see that the rides weren't too grungy (meaning old and rickety,) the carnies weren't too scary and it wasn't too busy either!

What I thought was adorable was when C#2 and my friend's grand reunited. They were immediately "besties", again.  They only see each other a few times a year, but, they enjoy each others company immensely!


I only went on one ride. It was fun, except for the feeling in your head, when it's over. Of course, that might be because I tried to turn my head during the ride to see the girls. Bad move.


This was taken when the girls were on it in the evening.

C#1 and C#2 went on this beast (see below.) It ended up being "traumatic" for C#2. She lost her retainer while she was being flipped around.  Thankfully it fell straight down and was very easy to find. I call it divine. I mean what are the chances of it being found that easily?!?!


So all in all it was a very fun day. And everyone slept very well that night...........

While I  was perusing my "garden" and I have a "few" tomatoes. I planted a couple in small pots and ended up with this:


An itsy bitsy tomato! I found it to be rather amusing.  I have even tinier ones, but, they're still green.

Then one night this past week, the dearest husband said he wasn't that hungry, so I decided to make something the I like and never make --- ground beef stroganoff.  I had a bowl full of rice leftover from a previous meal and in my opinion that is the perfect accompaniment.  DH didn't agree and wasn't even going to try it, but, alas he did and lo and behold,  he concluded I was right! HaHAAAAAAA!  I know my beef stroganoff!!  But, that is just an aside.

Before eating this he realized that there was cooked rice (obviously) which could only mean that I must make his favorite rice pudding.  Which I did and it was an extra tasty batch.  


I think I "stole" the recipe off of a can of evaporated milk. I haven't tweaked it that much, besides adding vanilla, raisins and cinnamon. 

Creamy Rice Pudding

1 cup cooked rice (I used a little bit more, but, not much.)
1 can (12 oz) evaporated milk (I added about 1/4 cup more of 1% milk, since I added more rice.)
1/3 cup sugar
1/4 tsp salt
1 egg
Vanilla, raisins, cinnamon

1. In a medium saucepan, heat 1 cup milk, sugar and salt. Add cooked rice to milk mixture and continue to cook over medium heat  for 10 minutes stirring constantly.

2. In a small bowl, beat the egg with the remaining milk. Gradually pour into the hot rice mixture, stirring constantly. Continue to cook for 5 minutes. Add vanilla, cinnamon, and raisins. Let cool and then eat!

The trick to this recipe is to make sure you don't add too much rice, or it won't be that creamy. But, like I discovered this time, by just adding a little more milk, seemed to fix it.

That's it for today. Till next time!






No comments: