Friday, September 14, 2012

Taco Avocado Wraps and the Movie "The Wave"

In my previous blog I made avocado cupcakes and what this means is that I had a couple more avocados that needed to be used. Soooooooooooooooooooooo... I perused one of my newer cookbook buys The Taste of Home Cookbook and found "Taco Avocado Wraps" on page 98. The first time I made them, I kinda sorta followed the recipe -- I basically used it as a suggestion. But, the second time I followed the recipe --- mostly. It was EVEN better!  Way more creamy and delicious!!


Here's the recipe:
1 package (8oz) cream cheese, softened
1/2 cup sour cream
1 can (4oz) chopped green chilies, drained
1 TB taco seasoning
4 flour tortillas (10 inches) warmed
2 medium ripe avocados, peeled and sliced (the avocados I used were more mushy so I spread it on instead of adding slices.)
2 tomatoes, thinly sliced
5 green onions, sliced (I didn't have any so I used chopped "regular" onion.)
1 can (4oz) sliced ripe olives, drained.

1. In small bowl, combine the cream cheese, sour cream, chilies, and taco seasoning.

2. Spread about 1/2 cup over each tortilla. Top with the avocados, tomatoes, onions and olives, roll up.

Super easy, super quick and super YUM!

And one day when I was looking through stacks of children's chapter books, I stumbled upon The Wave by Todd Strasser.  And then another day I was perusing dvds and saw a movie with the same name. Really!?! Could they be the same?!?! And alas they were.  Now the dvd was expensive to buy AND it was in German with subtitles. Subtitles are not my favorite, because then I have to actually pay attention to the movie, since I would need to read the dialog.  And then one day we got Netflix, because it actually works at our house now and I found the very German movie I wanted to watch, but didn't want to buy, and would have to read!!! WhooHOO!! 



Anyway, it is based on a true event that happened in a high school history class in California. The teacher did an experiment with the class to see if they would become like the Nazi's in Germany.  The book is set in the same scene, but, the movie is set in Germany with a few little changes.  The movie takes it one step beyond the book and actual story, but, the story is fascinating and highly probable in my opinion.  The book is written for the young adult audience, so you have to take it for what it is. I could have read it in one sitting, since it is short and reads really quick.  I highly recommend both.  I don't want to give it away, so I will say nothing more.  But, you can definitely see a mob mentality shining through and how easy it is to permeate whole groups of people.

I hope to blog about some apple recipes soon and some more interesting foreign ENGLISH films in the near future.

Till next time...

No comments: