Wednesday, September 12, 2012

I Made This A-MA-ZING Chicken...

...And  I forgot to take pictures. Of course, I wasn't expecting it to taste so good. The Darling Hubby even said he would order it at a restaurant if it was on the menu. It seriously was that good. I will however share the recipes that created this fine meal.

"Warm Artichoke and Asiago Cheese Dip"
from My Italian Kitchen by Janet Zappala, pg. 11

1 9oz box frozen artichoke hearts, chopped into small pieces (I used artichokes from a jar.)
1/4 tsp black pepper
1 cup shaved Asiago Cheese (I didn't have any, so I used 1 cup of Parmesan cheese.)
1/2 cup grated Parmesan cheese
1/4 cup mayonnaise (I used a little more to make it creamier.)
1/4-1/2 cup grated Colby jack cheese -- I would have used cheddar, but, this cheese brick was already open.

Preheat oven to 350 degrees. In a medium size bowl, add artichoke hearts, black pepper, and Asiago and Parmesan cheeses (I used ALL Parmesan cheese.) Stir to combine. Add mayonnaise; stir thoroughly. Spoon into 1.5 quart casserole dish. Bake for 30 minutes or until bubbly.

While this is cooking, make the chicken using this recipe from Taste of Home: Dinner on a Dime:
"Parmesan Chicken" on page 132-133.

I only used half of the recipe, since I had other plans for the chicken.

1/2 cup seasoned bread crumbs. (I used seasoned Panko crumbs.)
1/2 cup grated Parmesan cheese, divided
2 TB spaghetti seasoning
I used the above seasoning instead of 1 1/2 tsp oregano, 1/2 tsp dried basil, 1/2 tsp salt, 1/4 tsp pepper -- the spaghetti seasoning was easier.
1 egg
1 TB water
4 boneless, skinless chicken breasts, halves (I only had thawed out 2 1/2 chicken breasts, which I cut in half - to make 5 pieces, total.)
2 TB butter (I also added a little bit of olive oil.)

1. In shallow bowl, combine the bread crumbs, Parmesan cheese and seasonings. In another shallow bowl combine egg and water. Dip the chicken in the egg mixture, then coat in the bread mixture.
2. In large skillet, cook chicken in butter on both sides until juices run clear.

After the chicken is cooked, top with 1/4 cup or healthy portion of the artichoke cheese dip on each piece. Serve and enjoy!

I also made this cabbage casserole - which I liked. The hubby, C#1 and C#2 weren't impressed. The hubby ate some of it, but, the children whined and complained that there was cabbage in it.  There were a LOT of leftovers and I finally figured out what this dish reminded me of.... Stuffed peppers, which I do love, especially with a little bit of ketchup.

Here's a picture of the cabbage casserole (cabbage layer, ground beef layer, rice layer, tomato sauce/paste layer,) sans ketchup.


That's it for today. Till next time...








1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Sounds great. The cabbage stuff was probably good, too, but the ketchup gives it kind of an eerie look -- like something wounded. Or maybe I'm just feeling queasy because we had rather rare steak for lunch (and you know I prefer shoe leather)!