Monday, January 30, 2012

Onion Rings! And a book review...

The hubby had a hankering for some hamburgers for dinner.  I needed to figure out what was the best accompaniment. After a little bit of a debate it was decided that it would be onion rings. Now started the search for the perfect recipe. I looked through a pile of cookbooks and found a recipe in the "tried and true". But, I didn't want to try THAT one. I googled "onion rings" and came up with this: http://allrecipes.com/recipe/old-fashioned-onion-rings/

After finishing the first step, I was confused about the second dippy part. For some reason, the hubby, was hovering and I was inspired to actually read the recipe. Viola! My batter confusion was resolved.  I have a bad habit of skimming recipes, as opposed to actually reading them. There was some concern that the batter part wasn't sticking properly, but, once they were plunked into the oil and then out, they were PERFECT!! I was able to give the onion ring duty to the hubby, so I didn't burn the hamburgers, either!! PERFECT, PERFECT!!!!


This is all that was left. They were delicious! The recipe was fairly easy, but, required a little work. Although I skipped the dripping part and didn't give any of them a good shake after dipping them in the bread crumbs. Apparently those steps were NOT necessary! In case you want to try it, too.

Onto a different topic. C#2 received some really great books as Christmas gifts.  She decided to read Out of My Mind by Sharon M. Draper.


She read it in about two days and thought I would really like it. This was the first time she has ever "shared" one of her (many) books.  I had just started another book, but, put that one on hold. I read this one, in about 24 hours time.

It is about a 10 year old girl, who has a cerebral palsy and is unable to do the basic functions most of us take for granted.  She has a photographic memory and is incredibly smart. This book is about her struggle in school dealing with the "normal" kids in her inclusion classes and her everyday challenges.  Her parents, a neighbor and a teacher give her the support that she needs to overcome some of her difficulties. 

This book should be read by every child or anyone who wants to get an "inside" look at what it would be like to be a child/person with that type or any type of disability.  This book led to some interesting discussions with my daughter. Maybe it will influence her friendships in the near future. It was a very good book, even if it was written for 10 - 12 year olds. I have found some really great books written for children and young adults.

That's it for today. Till next time.






No comments: