Monday, May 30, 2011

Well.... That was an interesting Memorial Day weekend.

Good news! The power didn't hiccup at all and we were able to finish watching our movie on Friday (see earlier post.) The children were very happy with that.

After church, on Sunday we had Memorial Day lunch --- a day early because the hubby had to work Monday morning. We had a yummy dinner of ribs and lots of other fine food items at the in-laws.  When we got home and tried to open the garage with the remote, we were very dismayed, that the power was out, yet, again...

Once we managed to get inside (good thing I had my keys) I called the electric company and guess what?! You got it! I was the only one with the problem.  Sureeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeee.... We all know how that turned out the last time (again, see previous post.)  Needless to say C#1 was very much NOT impressed.  Thankfully I had the perfect cure to the doldrums.

Two summers ago I purchased a "fire pit." I got the genius idea to actually get it out and roast marshmallows! The hubby dragged it out and put it together and I went in search of the sugar stuff...  Thankfully I had one bag of large marshmallows. Wheww!!! Nothing else.  No chocolate bars or graham crackers for S'mores. I was hoping no one would notice.....

After many pieces of newspaper later, the fire finally caught and took off.  And of course C#2 had to ask if there were anymore ingredients with their marshmallow. I said, "Welllll.... This clearly was NOT a planned event. You can eat as many marshmallows as you want." I got a "REALLY?!?!?" Really.  I think she only had  five.

I also remembered I had a "manual-ish" coffee pot that would make everything okay.... My lovely mother gave it to me and it proved to be the best invention ever!!!  I made coffee two times while the power was out!!  That almost made it okay..... Almost.



Later on we lit a load of candles and found the oil lamp and were able to read in the family/living room area.  I , again called the lovely electric company and we were STILL the only ones having an issue --- again, yeah right! The hubby had to work at the butt crack of dawn and upon his return he called the electric company and we were now in the company of 18 other households. TOLD YA!  They were trying to make me sound all whiney and irritated, being the only complainer. I was just the first one to make the call. Not my fault I am on top of all things electric (or internet) related!

We then went to my folks to get a shower, since they were saying we'd have power by midnight. Well, that wasn't going to work unless I wanted to be stinky for almost 2 full days AND the children have to go to school tomorrow.  On our trip out and about we finally caved and bought a generator, afterwhich we had a lovely lunch at Friendly's.

We got home and were pleasantly surprised to see our electric company and their recruits from other places in this lovely state, on OUR road. They were slightly confused of the problem and asked us if we were having a singular issue. We weren't.  Which they figured out about an hour or so later. They were nice enough to inform us, that the electricity was back, since they could hear our generator cranking in the backyard.

I hope the power decides to stay on longer than one day, but only time will tell......

No comments: