Friday, March 30, 2012

Another Interesting Read...

Recently I read the book 1984 by George Orwell. I was discussing it with a friend and she mentioned the book Brave New World by Aldous Huxley, published in 1932.  A couple weeks ago, I came across a letter written by George Orwell to Aldous Huxley. Apparently 1984 was inspired by Huxley's book.  That further peaked my interest in that book.  So alas, I found it online for less than $4.00.  1984 wasn't the easiest of novels to read, so I was slightly skeptical of the other book.

That said, I cruised through Brave New World in less than a week. I found it far easier to read than 1984 and even more fascinating. Let me just say the future "Utopian" society that is portrayed is messed up!!  What was really intriguing about the whole thing, is that in the same week, I read an article from the UK about a school banning best friends. And in this country where some school's are passing out condoms to 12 year olds. Both of these issues are "dealt" with in this book.

In the "advanced society" no one wants to deal with anything and they rely on a drug called "soma" to make everything better and live in "La-La Land."  It was very difficult to not see some parallels in Huxley's future society and the trends of today, 2012.  And it astounds me that this was written in 1932.  I recommend this to anyone who wants to read something that might "twist" your brain and make you think.


Onto a happier, chocolate subject. My new love is this:


Peanut butter overload. The serving size is four. But, if I eat four, that would equal 50% of my daily fat intake. OYE!!  I have rationed myself to two a day. They are soooooooooooooooo good. Damn you Gertrude Hawk for your yummy delicious chocolate candies!!!

That's it for now... Till next time.


2 comments:

Anonymous said...
This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.
Anonymous said...
This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.