Thursday, December 20, 2012

Poached or Soft Boiled Eggs

Every morning I wake up and have breakfast. Two fried eggs and a cup (or five) of coffee. Every day.

I ask C#1 and C#2 if they want breakfast. I get a resounding, "YES!" But, then they ask what I'm making. Fried eggs. Then I get a chorus of, "Ohhh... Never mind."  I guess they are bored with that.

I recently made poached eggs and I kinda liked eggs cooked that way. I have always, sort of liked soft boiled eggs. Not with too runny whites, because that makes me gack! However, if I cook them just short of  hard boiled they are delicious with butter, salt and pepper.  What I hate about soft boiled eggs is the shell. I always have many a crunchy bite and that makes me gack, too.

So today, I decided to try poached eggs. I added salt and a splash of vinegar to the water before the eggs. It seems like I read somewhere you're supposed to do that?!?! I don't know. But, I'll try anything.  I put two eggs in a small bowl and slowly poured them into boiling water.  I didn't do that lovely swirl thing that I've read about. I just plunked them in and let it roll.


The eggs whites are all swirly, but, they aren't too crazy.  I let them cook for 3-5 minutes. No clue exactly, since I got distracted and stopped watching the clock, per usual.

I then used a slotted spoon and removed them from the water.


Put a slab of butter on the eggs with salt/pepper.


I can happily say that they tasted great! Especially without that annoying soft boiled crunch. 

I have now found a new way (for me) to make my normal morning ritual of eggs.  I know I am a complete dunce to just be figuring out that these taste great. But, better late than never.

Till next time...








2 comments:

Anonymous said...

What? No toast fingers with lemon curd to go with those eggs?

BB said...

I need to buy lemon curd and then there would be toast fingers and lemon curd with my poached eggs. :)