Thursday, March 21, 2013

Stuffed Shells

Ricotta cheese was on sale and since I was feeling "adventurous" I bought some. And upon returning to my humble abode I happened upon a box of jumbo pasta shells.  I could not remember the last time (if ever) I made stuffed shells.


I was kind of a dunce and didn't read the directions properly and put the cheese on first - instead of the sauce. Andddd when I was removing the foil, one of the shells insisted on being attached and upended itself (see center.)


I grabbed my trusty Mr. Food's Italian Kitchen and turned to page 136.

The recipe looked easy enough and so I asked if C#2 would like to make them.  She agreed. Put on an apron and commenced.


  • 1 (12-ounce) package jumbo pasta shells
  • 1 (32-ounce) container ricotta cheese
  • 3 cups (12 ounces) shredded mozzarella cheese, divided
  • 1/2 cup plus 2 tablespoons Parmesan cheese, divided
  • 2 eggs
  • 1 tablespoon chopped fresh parsley
  • 3 garlic cloves, minced
  • 1/2 teaspoon salt
  • 1/2 teaspoon black pepper
  • 1 (28-ounce) jar spaghetti sauce
1.Preheat oven to 350 degrees F. Coat a 9- x 13-inch baking dish with cooking spray. Cook shells according to package directions; drain.

2.In a large bowl, combine ricotta cheese, 2 cups mozzarella cheese, 1/2 cup Parmesan cheese, the eggs, parsley, garlic, salt, and pepper; mix well.

3.Spread 1 cup spaghetti sauce evenly over bottom of prepared baking dish. Spoon ricotta mixture into a pastry tube or large resealable plastic storage bag with a corner snipped off. Squeeze about 1 tablespoon cheese mixture into each shell; place filled shells in baking dish.

4.Pour remaining spaghetti sauce over filled shells, cover with aluminum foil, and bake 40 minutes.

5.Remove foil from dish, and sprinkle with remaining 1 cup mozzarella cheese and 2 tablespoons Parmesan cheese. Bake 10 to 12 more minutes, or until shells are heated through and cheese is golden and bubbling. Let sit 10 minutes before serving.

I didn't change anything. Which is highly unusual.  I almost never have ricotta cheese and would have used cottage cheese in a pinch.  

C#2 and I worked great as a team. Especially for the "shell stuffing" part.  I asked the hubby to go fetch my camera and then he obligingly took pictures without being asked!


We used a medium sized cookie scoop to fill the shells. It worked perfectly!  Of course, four hands worked better than two in this endeavor.

This recipe was a definite hit.  C#2 even wants it in her lunch tomorrow.  We will be making this, again, for sure!

Till next time!

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

We absolutely love your blog and find a lot of your post's to be precisely what I'm looking for.
can you offer guest writers to write content
to suit your needs? I wouldn't mind producing a post or elaborating on a number of the subjects you write regarding here. Again, awesome weblog!

My webpage: atlaslm.com