Wednesday, March 13, 2013

Dark Chocolate Truffles

I always have a hard time thinking of birthday presents. I tend to give the same item over and over -- especially for women. Bath stuff, candles, more bath stuff...  Then it occurred to me that homemade candy gifts - especially chocolate candy gifts might be just the ticket!

I perused Mr. Food Simply Chocolate cookbook and found "Truffles" on page 146.  I then thought dark chocolate might be better and as luck would have it, I had a package of those yummy morsels in my stash!


What You'll Need:
  • 1/2 cup evaporated milk
  • 1/4 cup sugar
  • 2 teaspoons instant coffee granules (I did not have instant coffee, but, instant latte worked just fine.)
  • 1 tablespoon hot water
  • 2 cups (12 ounces) semisweet chocolate or white baking chips (I used a package of dark chocolate chips)
  • 1/2 cup finely chopped toasted almonds (I toasted some coconut and used that instead.)
What To Do:
  1. Recipe Instructions: In a small heavy saucepan, combine the evaporated milk and sugar; heat over medium heat until the mixture comes to a rolling boil. Boil for 3 minutes, stirring constantly; remove from the heat.
     
  2. In a cup, dissolve the coffee in the hot water; add to the milk mixture along with the chocolate chips and stir until the chocolate is melted and the mixture is smooth. Cover and chill for 1 hour.
     
  3. Shape mixture into 1-inch balls, then roll in the almonds (coconut). Place on a cookie sheet, cover, and chill for at least 2 hours, or until firm.  I found that the hardened mixture, too hard to get out of the pan.  I put the pan back on the stove for a few seconds and it was then more pliable.
I was able to actually try one, since they didn't all fit into the container. Lucky for me! And they were delicious!

Till next time...

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

I can attest to the fact that these make an awesome birthday gift, but they are difficult to share. THANK YOU...THANK YOU...THANK YOU!!!