Wednesday, March 27, 2013

Mostaccioli and Sausage

I was at Sam's club and they had turkey sausage on clearance.  There is something about a neon orange clearance tag that makes me feel the need to buy, buy, BUY!   So I bought. Only one.

Then I was hemming and hawing about what to make. I first thought a tomato-ey Mexican thing.  But, then I re-looked at the package and it said "mild Italian."  Not very mexican-ey.

And per usual I grabbed a Mr. Food cookbook.  Mr. Food's Italian Kitchen to be exact.  I looked up sausage and found "Mostaciolli and Sausage" on page 129.




I didn't have a box of mostaciolli pasta and had to settle for campanelle.  That was the weirdest one that I had on hand.


  • 1/2 pounds hot or sweet Italian sausage, sliced about 1-inch thick
  • medium-sized onion, chopped (I used dried, minced.)
  • green bell pepper, chopped (or not)
  • (28-ounce) jars spaghetti sauce (I used one jar of spaghetti sauce and a can of crushed tomatoes.)
  • I also added some Italian seasoning and garlic powder
  • Can of sliced mushrooms (I added these because I didn't have any pepper)
  • 1/2 cup grated Parmesan cheese
  • 1 pound mostaccioli pasta
What To Do:
  1. In a large pot, brown the sausage over medium-high heat; drain off the excess liquid.
  2. Add the onion and green pepper cook, stirring, until tender. (I didn't have any pepper and was too lazy to get an onion out. I used some dried minced onion.)
  3. Add the spaghetti sauce and parmesan cheese. Bring to a boil then reduce the heat, cover, and simmer for 15 minutes, stirring occasionally. 
  4. Meanwhile, cook and drain the pasta according to the package directions. Toss the hot pasta with the sauce. Serve immediately.

It was another hit. I also bought bakery baguette bread that was equally delicious.

Now I just have to think of what to make with the rest of the sausage.  Hmmmmm......

Till next time...

No comments: