Wednesday, January 16, 2013

Quesadilla Quiche and an Earache.

S#4 came over to hang out and I always find it a challenge to fix something delicious.  I had eggs on the brain and was on a hunt for a good quiche recipe.  After flipping through four books, I found one in The Pillsbury Bake-Off Cookbook, February 1990 Edition. "Quesadilla Quiche" on page 23.


Crust
1
box Pillsbury® refrigerated pie crusts, softened as directed on box
Filling
1
cup coarsely chopped onions
1
tablespoon butter or margarine
1
cup coarsely chopped tomato (1 medium), drained
1
can (3.8 oz) sliced ripe olives, drained
1/4
teaspoon garlic powder or garlic salt
1/4
teaspoon ground cumin
1/8
teaspoon pepper
1
can (4.5 oz) Old El Paso® chopped green chiles, drained
2
eggs, beaten
2
to 3 drops red pepper sauce
1
cup shredded Monterey Jack cheese (4 oz)
1
cup shredded Cheddar cheese (4 oz)
Sour cream, if desired
Old El Paso® Thick 'n Chunky salsa or picante sauce, if desired
  1. Make pie crust as directed on box for Two-Crust Pie using 10-inch tart pan with removable bottom or 9-inch glass pie pan. Place 1 crust in pan; press in bottom and up sides. Trim edges if necessary. I only used one crust -- it didn't need the top crust!
  2. Place oven rack in lowest rack position; heat oven to 375°F. In 8-inch skillet, melt butter over medium heat. Add onions; cook and stir until tender. Reserve 1 tablespoon each chopped tomato and sliced olives I didn't use olives; stir remaining tomato and olives, the garlic powder, cumin, pepper and chiles into cooked onion. I used Southwest seasoning, too.
  3. In small bowl with fork I mixed everything in the same bowl -- no need to make extra dishes, beat eggs and red pepper sauce; reserve 2 teaspoons mixture. Stir in 1/2 cup of the Monterey Jack cheese and 1/2 cup of the Cheddar cheese. Sprinkle remaining cheeses in bottom of pie crust-lined pan. Spoon onion mixture evenly over cheese. Carefully pour egg mixture over onion mixture; spread to cover.
  4. Top with second pie crust; seal edges. Cut slits in crust in decorative design in several places. Brush with reserved egg mixture.
  5. Place pie on lowest oven rack; bake 45 to 55 minutes or until golden brown. Let stand 5 minutes; remove sides of pan. Serve warm with sour cream, salsa and reserved chopped tomatoes and sliced olives.



S#4 loved it (as did I) and had three pieces and took the remainder home. Maybe she'll share with the parents?! Maybe not...

Darling C#2 informed me the other night that her ear hurt.  She had been withholding this information from me from the night before. I told her that we wouldn't be able to do anything about it until the next day.  I gave her some meds to ease the pain and off to bed we went. Then at 1:00 am I had a visitor pulling at my blankets! It totally freaked me out! I smacked at it, only to realize it was C#2.  She felt the need to tell me it hurt really, reallllllllly bad.  Geez Louise! I got up and gave her some different meds and told her that we would definitely be going to the doc later that morning. She didn't sleep very well (I heard her bumping around and go to the bathroom 5,000 times), and neither did I.

Once we scooted C#1 and the hubby off to school/work we were on our way.  We got to the office lickety split and were shown right in. AND there was no else there to cough all over us and share their disease.  Unfortunately we were done by 7:30 and the pharmacy didn't open until 9:00.  So this week instead of going to Walmart to do a price match, I actually went to two of the stores and bought the stuff directly from them.

We then went to the pharmacy, picked up the meds and then home.  C#2 slept for the rest of the day and woke up feeling much better.

She and her brother were lucky ducks this morning. They had a two hour delay from school, so they were able to sleep in.  I'm thinking they should just start school at 9:00 for everybody.  The children are far less crabby that time of day!

That's it for now. Till next time...


1 comment:

Anonymous said...
This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.