Sunday, January 20, 2013

Microwave Blackberry Crisp or Dessert in a Pinch!

So, once again, I was asked, "What's for dessert?!" And again, there are still 10+ half gallons of ice cream in the freezer.  I had just bought six new ones, because of last week's sale.  I bitched and moaned and then found a recipe....  Taste of Home: The Busy Family Cookbook page 232.  This recipe was for cherry crisp, but, I was too lazy to go downstairs and find a can of cherry pie filling.

Microwave Cherry Crisp

4 ServingsPrep/Total Time: 20 min.

Ingredients

  • 1 can (21 ounces) cherry pie filling I used blackberry pie filling.
  • 3/4 cup packed brown sugar
  • 2/3 cup quick-cooking oats
  • 1/3 cup all-purpose flour
  • 1/4 cup butter, cubed
  • Vanilla ice cream, optional DEFINITELY!

Directions

  • Spoon pie filling into a greased 9-in. pie plate. In a small bowl,
  • mix the brown sugar, oats and flour; cut in butter until crumbly.
  • Sprinkle over filling. Microwave, uncovered, on high for 7-9 minutes
  • or until hot. If desired, serve warm with ice cream. Yield: 4
  • servings.





This was a hit and everyone liked it. There were no leftovers.  I will need to stock up on various pie filling, so I can switch it up at the next "no-dessert" situation!  

Till next time...






2 comments:

a bit much said...

will it work if I use regular oats? Is that info available in your handy, dandy book of substitutions?

BB said...

My substitution book has no suggestions for that -- bah humbug! I did however look it up online and it might be okay. A different texture. Maybe it will be more crunchy/chewy which wouldn't be a bad thing... Try it and let me know!