Monday, July 9, 2012

Creamy Asparagus Soup

I know you're probably asking why are you making soup in July?!  Well, asparagus is in season at the store and I bought too much. I had a good amount to use and I will eat soup whenever. Cold, warm or hot.  I looked in my Taste of Home: Soups cookbook and found "Creamy Asparagus Soup."  Here is the recipe with my changes in bold.

2 green onions, chopped (I used half an onion, chopped)
1 garlic clove, chopped
1 tablespoon butter (I also added olive oil)
2 cans chicken broth (I used 5 chicken bouillon cubes and 4-5 cups water)
1 lb asparagus, trimmed and cut into 1 inch pieces
1/2 teaspoon salt
3/4 thyme (didn't use, because I couldn't find any)
1/8 teaspoon black pepper
1 bay leaf (I didn't use, because I couldn't find them)
2 tablespoons flour
3 tablespoons water
1/4 cup sour cream
1 tsp grated lemon peel (I used a little bit of lemon juice)


In a large saucepan, saute onions and garlic in butter. Add broth, asparagus, salt, thyme, pepper and bay leaf. Bring to a boil. Reduce heat; cover and simmer for 8-10 minutes or until asparagus is tender. Drain asparagus, reserving liquid. Discard bay leaf.

In food processor (I used a blender) combine asparagus and 1/2 cup of cooking liquid. Process until smooth. Return pureed asparagus and remaining liquid to pan.

Combine the flour and water until smooth (I used some of the cooking liquid for the water.) Stir into soup. Bring to a boil; cook for 1-2 minutes or until thickened. Garnish with sour cream and lemon peel.


It looks like split pea --- but, it very much isn't.

I did it in a crock pot, thinking I would let it cook for a while. That didn't happen. I was too hungry


The sour cream tasted really good in the soup!

Funny story (and what I mean is it wasn't that funny.) As I was dumping most of the soup into the blender I forgot to check the spigot. Lo and behold it was open and the asparagus soup water was pouring out.... AND into one of the drawers with silverware in it. Yeap! I dirtied 1/4 of the drawer with soup. Duhhhhh!! That was sooooooooooooooooooooooo annoying. Of course, if I had been a smart cookie, I would have shut the drawer instead of leaving it wide open. Double duhhhhhhhhhh!

Anyway, it was a successful soup, so it all turned out fine.

This last weekend was a busy one, too. We visited some local"ish" sites (3+ hours away.)  We went to an old fort and then we explored a couple Navy ships and a submarine. I think we (the hubby and I) were more impressed than C#1 and C#2.  But, at least they can cross it off their "bucket list."



The Fort hosting a large re-enactment of the French and Indian War. There were tons of re-enactors at this event.  And it was boiling hot that day. I felt really, really bad for them.


That's it for now. Till next time...


1 comment:

Anonymous said...

DH is impressed with your choice of venue for family vacation. I'm jealous of your soup for lunch. You need to plant a pot of thyme for future use! There's even a "lemon" variety that sounds right up your alley.