Monday, June 17, 2013

Grilled Bananas with Ice Cream and Caramel

I only have a couple of magazine subscriptions and of late I have been finding lots of very interesting recipes in the "All You" magazine.  I happened upon "Grilled Bananas with Ice Cream and Caramel."  It had a very yummy looking picture right next to it and I had to try it.

I, of course, had all of the ingredients. It was yet another week of buying bananas because they said, "Of course, I/we will eat them..." And, of course, they didn't. *sigh*  So here ya go!

Grilled Bananas with Ice Cream and Caramel "All You" July 26, 2013 page 79

1 1/2  cups sugar
1/2 cup water
1 cup heavy cream
2 tbsp unsalted butter, cut into pieces (I used salted, as I have no unsalted and it has yet to be proven to me that it really makes a difference...)
1 tsp vanilla extract
pinch of salt (I did not add salt, since I used salted butter.)
2 tbsp packed light brown sugar
1/2 tsp cinnamon
2 tbsp honey
6 firm but ripe bananas
6 scoops vanilla ice cream

1. Make caramel: Stir sugar and 1/2 cup water in a pan over medium - low heat until sugar dissolves. Raise heat to medium-high. Watching carefully; boil syrup without stirring until it is a dark amber color, 10-15 minutes. Remove from heat and carefully pour in cream (the mixture will bubble up and splatter.) Reduce heat to low; cook, stirring constantly, until mixture thickens and becomes smooth, 2-5 minutes. Remove from heat; whisk in butter, vanilla and salt.

2. In a bowl, mix brown sugar and cinnamon. Warm honey in microwave for 15 seconds.
3. Preheat grill medium-high. Cut unpeeled bananas in half lengthwise. Brush cut side with honey; sprinkle with sugar mixture. 




Oil grill (I didn't do that, but, I made sure it was clean, since we had hamburgers the night before...) Place bananas on grill, cut sides up. cook until bananas are tender and flesh pulls away from skin, 3 to 4 minutes.


4. Using 2 spoons, gently remove 2 banana halves from peels. Place 2 halves in a bowl, top with ice cream and drizzle with caramel. Repeat with remaining bananas, ice cream and caramel.


This was a hit! Everyone loved it and I had extra caramel sauce. I used the extra caramel sauce the next morning to make "German style" french toast -- but, I will blog about that another time...

Today my goal was to use up the fresh cherries I bought last week.  And as I was making the pastry for the turnovers I noticed C#1 sitting at the dining room table.  I decided that he could (and would) help me. I grabbed the bowl with the dough, a rolling pin, wax paper and flour and said , "You will help me!"  He didn't even fuss about it and did a better job at rolling out the crusts than I did (but, that too will be a blog for another day.)  Of course, he thought that if he helped he would get out of doing a specific chore. Ahhh No sirrrreee!  Especially since he dumped flour all over the carpet.  I did agree to clean up the table stuff, because, he thought it would be a great idea to make chocolate chip cookies. 


The lovely table covered in flour... The tape measure was for the turnover pastry. Just so we got an idea how big they should be...

I told him that he could make the cookies, since, he wanted them so badly and he did! Of course, I wasn't off the hook.  I was the one watching the cookies and burning off my hand/fingers removing the pans from the oven. But, it was a good time and C#1 can claim that he made the cookies.


So there you have it.  My day in a nutshell.
Till next time...






No comments: