Saturday, February 9, 2013

Early Valentine's Day Donuts and Pie

As I was laying in bed, aka being lazy and not wanting to get up, I heard the hubby arrive home from his early morning, snowy jaunt from work.  I usually hide under the covers, because there is usually a request for breakfast.

Anywayyyy, I heard some unusual banging and clanging and bag rustling in the kitchen. I didn't think it was C#1 or C#2, because they like to wait for me to get up and fetch them something.  A few minutes later, the hubby showed up in the room with a ----- DONUT! A powdered sugar "Long John" donut filled to the brim with vanilla butter cream.  That filling is my most favorite in the entire world!!!!!!!!!!!!!!


And I ate two. Yes, two. I have NO shame. And they were both incredibly delicious! 

I should also state that he also made coffee!!! Which means I didn't have to make breakfast --- except for the request for bacon. Yes bacon.  Easy peasy!

Here are some of the other lovely donuts that were available. C#1 and C#2 made quick work of the special cherry chocolate frosted ones, so no good picture of those.


On a cooking note. Yesterday I decided to make dessert before I got a request for it at 8:00 pm.  And I made pie.  I actually got brave enough and re-looked at my MIL's crust recipe. She makes the best pie crust. There is no compare. I have tried. Failed. Tried, again. Failed, again and gave up.  Of course, I was using my normal oil crust recipe and it just isn't the same.  Anyway, by some fluke it worked!  

It should be stated I had another motivation for making pie.  The hubby had PS cheesecake parfaits (which I didn't take a picture of -- sorry!) that were delicious. But, there was half a can of pie filling left over.  I HAD to use it!  

I searched the upstairs freezer for frozen berries and found about a half cup of mixed wild and then I found a small-ish unopened bag of frozen raspberries in the downstairs freezer.

I made the crust and then mixed the pie filling, 1/2 cup of frozen berries, the entire frozen bag of raspberries with 1 cup sugar and 1/4 to 1/2 cup flour. I went a little heavy on the flour since the frozen fruit were a teense bit     icicle-y.  I stirred it up and it looked like pink/purple slop.  I might have gone a little overboard with the stirring, but, whatever. It all tastes the same.

I plunked the fruit stuff into the crust and was actually successful in getting a top crust onto the pie without too many mishaps.  I should state I halved the pie crust recipe, but, it's for three, double crusted pies. But, I always need extra. It's just a rule.

I kept my eye on the pie and it all worked. YIPPEE!! I have this super fantastic pie crust shield thing I bought recently and it works wonders, too!!


I got an immediate compliment on my pie, since, everyone knew I had used a different crust recipe and it was amazing.  Of course, you can use whatever crust recipe you want to make this.  I have done the oil crust for this wild berry concoction before.  It definitely is a good use of leftover pie filling and any extraneous frozen berries.

That's it for today. Till next time....



No comments: