Friday, March 28, 2014

Clumpy Brown Sugar and Bread -- What a neat trick!

I mistakenly left a bag of brown sugar open. For many days. And weeks.  Needless to say, it turned into a clumpy, unusable, mess.  I knew the microwave trick - you know, nuke it for a little bit and it gets soft. But, that wasn't helping this time.  I had already conceded my last batch of chocolate chip cookies to crunchy chunks to brown sugar. Thankfully they turned out okay in spite of my failed sugar.

My next cooking adventure needed a lot of brown sugar and all I had left was a rock solid clump.  In desperation I turned to the internet and it was suggested many times to microwave the sugar with a piece of bread.  Apparently "everyone" knows this trick. I however did not.

Anyway, I had no problem finding a piece of bread.  If you remember my challenge to use lots and lots of bread in a short time period since I bought too much. Well AH-HAH! Another way to use that pesky bread!!!

I put a piece on top of the sugar and put it in the microwave for 30 seconds.


It appeared to be working!! The moisture from the bread was sucked into the brown sugar. There were still clumps, so I put it in again for about 20 seconds more.


Viola! Nice soft brown sugar.  

Apparently you can put a piece of bread in your brown sugar for the long haul and it will keep it moist, too. No microwaving necessary.  I'm not sure I will do that. But, I will definitely use this neat trick, again!

That's it for today. Till next time.




No comments: