Monday, May 13, 2013

Rodeo in the Snow!! In May...

I was heading to my bestie's house and got a message that said, "Bring trekking shoes..." Well hmmmm... Does that mean hiking boots or shit kickers?! I don't currently own any hiking boots and the shit kickers were front and center. So, I tossed them into the car.

After a couple cups of much needed coffee and breakfast we headed out in search of a heifer and a potential newborn calf.

We trudged through a mucky mess all over the woods and on our way back up the hill we found the heifer andddddddd her baby.


Then it was determined that it might be better if the calf was up closer to the barn -- especially since it was supposed to be so cold tonight ---> A cool 26 degrees. And yes, it's the middle of May.  Brrrr...

After fetching the wheelbarrow (and my camera) we meandered back down to the calf.  It then became obvious that the mama cow needed some coaxing to follow her baby back up the hill.  My bestie dished out the grain, which seemed to interest the mama ----> and every other cow in the pasture/woods.





We started back up the hill and after some more coaxing this is what we accomplished --->


A whole line of cows...


And a donkey.

We were moving at a pretty decent clip, through the rough terrain when the horse felt the need to literally "butt" in to check out the calf and try to lead the way.


The calf got a little bit wiggly near the end.  I had to hold it down without causing too much resistance for the wheelbarrow driver.  We made it to the hay feeder and gently plopped the calf in a pile of hay.


I then helped my bestie feed the rest of the herd and crew.



Then it was snowing.


Of course, you can't really tell it was snowing in this picture. But, it was downright cold for this May day.

I was very glad that I chose to wear the shit kickers (and not the snow boots or sneakers), because it was definitely a shit kicker activity.



So there you have it "Rodeo in the Snow."

Till next time...










1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Awwwwwww!!!!! Too cute!!!