Friday, April 26, 2013

French Onion Soup PIZZA!!!!!!!

Yes, you read correctly. French onion soup pizza. And let me start by saying it was AMAZING!!!! Especially if you like onions.

Let me back up...  I was trying to figure out dinner this past week and saw a lonely bread dough in the freezer.  I plunked it onto the table and let it thaw. I knew that we were having lasagna later in the week, so I wanted to figure out something not Italian-ey to make.

I grabbed Mr. Food Pizza 1-2-3 and after perusing for a couple minutes I found "French Onion Soup Pizza"  on page 54. Most of us, in this household like French onion soup, so I figured, why not?! And the recipe was easy enough...

1 bread dough thawed, raised
2 tablespoons olive oil (I also used a tablespoon of butter.)
1 tablespoon chopped garlic (I minced it.)
4 medium sized onions, sliced 1/4 inch thick (I used 2.5 huge onions, chopped, sliced.)
3/4 tsp salt
3 tablespoons dry red wine (I used a sweet-ish red wine that I had. I also think Worcestershire sauce or beef broth would work, too.)
1 cup shredded Swiss cheese (since I have to make lunch everyday, I had a whole package of deli sliced Swiss. That worked just fine!)
1/3 cup Parmesan cheese (or more!)

 Preheat the oven to 450 degrees.  In a large skillet, heat the oil (and butter) over medium high heat. Add the garlic, onion, and salt and saute for 10 to 12 minutes, or until the garlic and onions are well browned. Add the win cook for 1 or 2 more minutes.  Spoon the onion mixture over the prepared base and top with the Swiss and Parmesan cheeses. Bake as directed, or until the crust is crisp and brown. (I precooked the crust till it was slightly browned -- for a crispier crust.)





It tastes just like french onion soup --- but on a pizza!! Who wouldn't like that?!?!  C#2 was the only one who didn't try it. But, she is a mutant and doesn't like the soup either.  I will definitely be making this, again. 

Till next time!

No comments: